Tonight’s meal was a twist on a recipe I’ve had since I was a little kid. It was one of those staple meals my mom used to make often.
When I was going through my cookbooks a few weeks ago, I found an old notebook with a couple of handwritten recipes, including the Crunchy-Top Casserole. I hadn’t seen or even thought of this notebook in years! So glad I found it.
Crunchy Top Casserole
1 lb frozen hash browns
1 can Cream of Chicken (doesn’t count as meat, right? Right.)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups Plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
4 white mushrooms (chopped)
1/2 medium green pepper
1/2 medium red pepper
6 oz shredded Colby Jack cheese
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/4 cup melted butter
Salt and pepper
1. Put hash browns in a 9×13 baking dish.
2. Chop peppers and mushrooms.
3. Shred cheese.
4. Pour corn flakes in a Ziploc bag and crush.
5. Mix yogurt, 1/2 cup melted butter, cream of chicken, salt and pepper in hash browns.
6. Mix cheese, peppers, and mushrooms in hash browns.
7. Bake in oven at 350 F for 30 minutes.
8. Cover hash browns in corn flakes and pour remaining butter evenly ontop.
9. Bake for another 30 minutes at the same temperature.
The original recipe included 2 cups of cubed ham, which I substituted with mushrooms. You could also try adding pieces of bacon or slices of turkey. Just not on Meatless Monday. 😉